All patient health care information at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is confidential. Therefore, medical records cannot be released to any person without the authorization of the patient or the patient's legally authorized representative (unless authorized by law).
All requests for the release of medical records must be submitted in writing through the use of a MedStar Washington Hospital Center authorization form, and must be dated and signed by the patient or the patient's legally authorized representative. In the case of a minor, the parent or guardian must sign the authorization.
Submitting An Authorization
To submit a written authorization for the release of medical information from MedStar Washington Hospital Center, mail the completed authorization to:
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
Health Information Management Department
Medical Correspondence Section
110 Irving St., NW, Room 2A-39
Washington, DC 20010
- E-mail requests or authorizations will not be accepted.
- If the request is an emergency request for medical information for continuing patient care, fax the completed authorization to 202-877-5496.
When requesting copies of medical records or medical information of the types below, contact the responsible treatment area as indicated.
- Outpatient Burn Treatment - Burn Center
- Some Outpatient Cardiology - Cardiology Department
- Eye Clinic - Ophthalmology Department
- Private Physician Office Visit in the Hospital or in the Physicians' Office Building (POB) - Individual Physician Office
- Radiology Films - Radiology Department
- Transplant Clinic - Transplant Department
- Washington Continence Center Office Visit or Office Procedure - Washington Continence Center
Fees have been established for copies of patient medical records/medical information and are subject to change. No fee is assessed when the information is being sent to another health care provider.
For further information about the release of medical information, please contact the MedStar Washington Hospital Center Health Information Management Department at 202-877-7117.