Thank you for choosing MedStar Washington Hospital Center for your surgery.
You and your surgeon have decided that you need surgery. We will help guide you through your surgical experience and provide you with key information to make your surgical experience more comfortable and hassle-free.
Please read through the guide carefully to get important information about your surgical process. It will provide information on what to expect before, during and after your surgery as well as important contact information.
Preparing for Surgery includes:
- Discussing the risks and benefits of the procedure along with any questions or concerns that you have with your surgeon.
- Discussing your pain expectations and management with your surgeon.
- Receiving instructions from your surgeon about your current medications.
- Receiving a call from MedStar Washington Hospital Center's Financial Services about your procedure.
- Receiving a thorough checkup within 30 days (or less) of your scheduled surgery.
- Completing necessary testing based on surgery type.
A checkup and testing before surgery is necessary to ensure you have a safe surgical experience. Your checkup may be performed by your surgeon, your primary care provider or the Admissions Testing Center (ATC) at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. Your testing may occur at your primary care provider, the ATC, or at a place preferred by your doctor or insurance company.
If your checkup and testing are done at a place other than the ATC, the office must fax all documents to the ATC; all checkups and test results must be received at least five days before your surgery. The ATC nurses will review all information and contact your surgeon if anything is missing or requires follow up.
If you will be having your testing at the ATC, call the ATC to make an appointment. Schedule your pre-surgery testing at least two weeks before surgery. To prepare, use the ATC visit checklist.
If it is the week before your surgery, and you have not had testing done or spoken with the ATC nurse, call the ATC immediately.
If you have any questions about this information, please call the Admission Testing Center (ATC) at 202-877-7169.