MedStar Washington Hospital Center
We take care of it all. The most critically ill patients, the most challenging medical problems. Minor illnesses—and chronic disease. The birth of healthy babies—and the healthy lives of older adults.
For more than a half a century, MedStar Washington Hospital Center has set the highest standard for health care—and reached and surpassed it year after year.
We are a not-for-profit, 926-bed academic medical center in the center of the nation’s capital—and every day, hundreds of people in the region depend on us for their care. In 2013 alone, the hospital opened its door for nearly 500,000 inpatient and outpatient visits by residents from throughout the Mid-Atlantic.
We are the busiest and largest hospital in Washington, D.C. and the surrounding area—and serve as referral center and the central hub for the region’s most advanced acute medical care.
But we are much more. Our primary and secondary health services help our community’s residents get and stay healthy, and help to improve patients’ quality of life by managing chronic illness.
Our inpatient services, education and research programs, outpatient care and community outreach initiatives are all aimed at meeting today’s health care needs—and at leading the way to meet the future health needs of the nation.
Our reputation for medical excellence is well-earned:
- Patient centered care delivered with compassion
- Quality services focused on safety, efficiency—and the best possible outcome for patients
- An internationally renowned multidisciplinary team of health care professionals, including medical/dental and surgical staffs numbering nearly 1,400
- The most advanced diagnostic and treatment options available anywhere
- World class heart care through the MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute, and it’s alliance with renowned Cleveland Clinic Sydell and Arnold Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute
- Recognized internationally for MedSTAR Trauma Center, offering the nation’s highest level of comprehensive care for critical multiple injury, and for its sophisticated MedSTAR Transport service
- A designated Comprehensive Stroke Center, the first stroke program in the area accredited as such by The Joint Commission
- The region’s only adult burn center, recognized as a national model in burn care therapies
- Nationally respected programs in organ transplantation, cancer, diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology and GI surgery, geriatrics, gynecology, nephrology, orthopaedics, pulmonology, and urology
- A robust research program that has paved the way to innovative new treatment—and the opportunity for patients to participate in leading-edge therapy
- Medical education programs that attract the best and brightest physicians from around the nation
- A decades-long tradition of service to the most vulnerable in our community
- A lengthy list of recognitions and achievements for our services—and our medical team
- A proud member of MedStar Health, one of the nation’s most progressive health care systems—focused on creating access to the superior health care services