Compassionate Care for Older Adults
The Section of Geriatrics at MedStar Washington Hospital Center offers seniors aged 65 years and older the special expertise of a team of fellowship-trained geriatric physicians. We care for their everyday health needs through our primary care office practice—and lead a regional program called MedStar Health Total Eldercare-Medical House Call Program, designed to care for frail elderly in the Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Md., communities.
Learn more about the MedStar Health Total Eldercare-Medical House Call Program
Office-Based Geriatrics Primary Care
Our team of geriatric specialists also provides primary care services for older adults at the Ambulatory Care Center at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. The practice is staffed by our Geriatrics fellows, and supervising attending geriatricians. The team of specialists is focused on providing comprehensive primary care to their patients over the course of their lives—helping patients manage acute and chronic illness—everything from dementia, stroke, heart disease, diabetes, cancer, COPD, functional disability to end-of-life care.
We also operate a Hospital Geriatrics Service for frail elders who are part of the House Call Program. When these patients are hospitalized through the emergency department or by a scheduled admission, our House Call nurse practitioners and doctors arrange the admission, and care for patients while they are in the hospital. In addition, our Ortho-Geriatrics team of specialists, who are experts in geriatrics, orthopaedics, rehabilitation and nursing, care for seniors who are hospitalized as a result of falls and fractures.
The hospital boasts a robust training program for physicians who want to specialize in the care of older adults. Our one-year fellowship focuses on preparing physicians to deliver comprehensive patient- and family-centered health care to adults ages 65 years and older. Fellows are exposed to patient care in a variety of settings and are guided by an experienced teaching faculty of five geriatricians with years of training and expertise.
Make an Appointment
MedStar Washington Hospital Center
Department of Geriatrics and Long-Term Care
110 Irving Street, NW
East Building, Room 3114
Washington, D.C. 20010
Our Team of Geriatric Specialists
- Eric De Jonge, MD, Section Director Geriatrics and Executive Director, MedStar Total Elder Care
- Stephanie Bruce, MD, Faculty geriatrician and Medical Director, MedStar Total Elder Care
- George Taler, MD, Faculty geriatrician and physician, MedStar Total Elder Care
- Maggie Lee, MD, Faculty geriatrician MedStar Washington Hospital Center and physician, MedStar Total Elder Care
MedStar Washington Hospital Center Geriatrics in the News
- House Calls Are Coming Back; The Washington Post 6. 2016: Looking for ways to save money and improve care, Medicare officials are returning to an old-fashioned idea: house calls. The house-calls practice at MedStar Washington Hospital Center cut the cost of care an average of $12,000 per patient.