Where: Admissions Testing Center (ATC) - Room A 101, Main Hospital Building
The center is open: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Scheduling is done Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Phone: 202-877-7169, Fax: 1-866-298-5563
What to Do:
- Arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment, and register at the ATC.
- Park at the Hospital Parking Garage. The hospital does validate parking for your preoperative testing. Learn more about parking and entrances at MedStar Washington Hospital Center.
- Call ATC if you are delayed or need to reschedule your appointment. If you are more than 15 minutes late, we will ask you to reschedule.
What to Bring:
- Government-issued photo identification (for example, driver's license, state ID or passport).
- Insurance cards, prescription cards and any co-payment if needed.
- First and last names and phone numbers of all your doctors.
- A completed Preoperative Patient Questionnaire.
- Your Advance Directive. Learn more about Advance Directives.
- Your doctor will be forwarding medical documents. If you have any recent documents, such as reports or test results, please bring them with you.
What to Expect:
- Most preoperative visits last about 1.5 to 2 hours.
- A pre-anesthesia nurse will conduct an interview to review the information provided in your patient questionnaire.
- A nurse practitioner may conduct a history and physical.
- Based on your surgery, testing may be completed (including blood work, chest x-ray, EKG, etc.).
- You will receive detailed instructions about your medications (which to take/which to stop) before surgery.
If you have any questions, please call the Admission Testing Center (ATC) at 202-877-7169.