The Chaplains at MedStar Washington Hospital Center (MWHC) play an integrated and important role in spiritual and emotional support to a diverse population of patients, families and staff. MWHC, (a Level I Trauma Center, just north of the U-Street corridor, adjacent to Children’s National Health System and The Veterans Medical Center, Columbia Heights, Adams-Morgan, and the University district, which is home to Trinity, Howard, and Catholic Universities) is dedicated to delivering exceptional patient care in a holistic manner. The Department of Spiritual Care works as an integrated part of interdisciplinary care throughout the hospital. Our defined Values include: Service, Patient First, Integrity, Respect, Innovation, and Teamwork.
MWHC Spiritual Care Department has a strong record of accreditation from the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE), Inc. to offer Level I, Level II and Supervisory Education (SES). ACPE, Inc. is an accredited agency recognized by the United States Department of Education offering Clinical Pastoral Education. MWHC CPE Program does not offer Half Units. MWHC is working toward partnering with surrounding academic institutions to incorporate Clinical Pastoral experiential learning in a variety of curriculums.
ACPE contact information:
Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103
Decatur, GA 30033
MWHC Current CPE programs:
- Full Time Summer Unit Internship
- Part Time Extended Unit Internship
- Full Time Residency Program
- Graduation from an accredited college or university
- Good standing with a faith tradition
- Volunteer eligibility, processed through MWHC Volunteer Office (Phone: 202-877-6874)
- Masters of Divinity Degree or its equivalent (Residency Program)
- Associate (employ) eligibility at MWHC per United States employment laws (Residency Program)
- Previous CPE Unit evaluation copies completed by a certified ACPE Educator/Supervisor and the completed student evaluation (Residency Program)
MWHC welcomes international applicants. Applicants should obtain necessary documentation from United States Immigration in the form of a student visa. The process may take a considerable long time, and therefore we recommend international applicants to apply early to allow for adequate time for document processing.
CPE Unit Tuition
- $50 application fee (non-refundable). The $50 application fee does not guarantee an admission interview for any CPE Program.
- $1000. $200 is due the first week of the CPE Unit. $800 remainder due before the end of the Unit.
- $500 for returning students.
- Should the Unit be cancelled, the student will be refunded their deposit.
- Checks or Money orders made payable to MWHC Spiritual Care Dept.
- Cash payments are also accepted.
Internships (Summer Unit Internship and Extended Unit Internship):
- Designated Holiday observations
- Meal tickets
- Free Parking
Residency Education Programs:
- Tuition waived
- Salary $30,000
- Basic medical
- 8 Official Holidays
- 14 Vacation Days
- 2 Personal Days
- Meal Tickets
- Educational Resources
Early application for a Unit is highly encouraged. Programs are competitive and are usually filled before start dates. For us to meet the deadline, we encourage applicants to apply no later than February 1st for the Residency Program; January 15th for the Summer Program; and May 1st for the Extended Unit program. The number of applicants applying to each ACPE accredited program far exceeds the number of available openings.
1. Summer Unit
- May/June to Mid August (13-14 Weeks)
- Full Time: 8:30 am to 4 pm. daily, with overnight on-calls weekdays/weekends
2. Extended Unit
- Mid September to March
- Part Time: 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursdays, 5 hours direct patient care per week; approximately 12 - 14 overnight on-calls weekdays/weekends
- June to May
- 3 Units of CPE (Tuition waived)
- Full Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily, day time on-call (no overnight or weekend on-call)
- Salary (basic medical, 8 public holidays, 14 vacation days, 2 personal days )
- 4 Resident Positions