The Chaplains at MedStar Washington Hospital Center (MWHC) play an integrated and important role in spiritual and emotional support to a diverse population of patients, families and staff. MWHC, (a Level I Trauma Center, just north of the U-Street corridor, adjacent to Children’s National Health System and The Veterans Medical Center, Columbia Heights, Adams-Morgan, and the University district, which is home to Trinity, Howard, and Catholic Universities) is dedicated to delivering exceptional patient care in a holistic manner. The
Department of Spiritual Care works as an integrated part of interdisciplinary care throughout the hospital. Our defined Values include: Service, Patient First, Integrity, Respect, Innovation, and Teamwork.
MWHC Spiritual Care Department has a strong record of accreditation from the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE), Inc. to offer Level I, Level II and Certified Educator Candidate (CEC) training. ACPE, Inc. is an accredited agency recognized by the United States Department of Education offering Clinical Pastoral Education. MWHC is working toward partnering with surrounding academic institutions to incorporate Clinical Pastoral experiential learning in a variety of curriculums.
ACPE contact information:
Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
55 Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard, Suite 835
Atlanta, GA 30308
MWHC Current CPE programs:
- Full Time Summer Unit Internship
- Part Time Extended, Fall and Spring Unit Internship
- Full Time Residency Program
- Certified Educator Candidate (CEC) Training
- Graduation from an accredited college or university
- Good standing with a faith tradition
- Volunteer eligibility, processed through MWHC Volunteer Office (Phone: 202-877-6874)
- Master of Divinity Degree or its equivalent (Residency Program)
- Associate (employ) eligibility at MWHC per United States employment laws (Residency Program)
- Previous CPE Unit evaluation copies completed by a certified ACPE Certified Educator and the completed student evaluation (Residency Program)
MWHC welcomes international applicants. Applicants should obtain necessary documentation from United States Immigration in the form of a student visa. The process may take a considerable long time, and therefore we recommend international applicants apply early to allow for adequate time for document processing.
CPE Unit Tuition
- $50 application fee (non-refundable). The $50 application fee does not guarantee an admission interview for any CPE Program.
- $1000. A $200 non-refundable deposit is due within two weeks after acceptance in the CPE Program. The $800 remainder is due before the end of the CPE Unit.
- $500 for returning students.
- Should the Unit be cancelled, the student will be refunded their deposit.
- Checks or Money orders made payable to MWHC Spiritual Care Dept.
- Cash payments are also accepted.
- Designated Holiday observations
- Meal tickets (for on-call shifts and education day)
- Free Parking
Residency Education Programs:
- Tuition waived
- Salary $30,000
- Basic medical
- 7 Official Holidays
- 14 Vacation Days
- 2 Personal Days
- Meal Tickets (for on-call shifts and education day)
- Educational Resources
Early application for a unit is highly encouraged. Programs are competitive and are usually filled before start dates. For us to meet the deadline, we encourage applicants to apply no later than January 1st for the Residency Program; January 15th for the Summer Program; July 1st for the Extended and Fall Programs; and October 1st for the Spring Program.
1. Summer Unit
- May/June to Mid-August (12 Weeks)
- Full Time: 8:30 am to 4 pm. daily, with overnight on-calls weekdays/weekends
2. Extended Unit
- September to May
- Part Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on education days, with overnight on-calls weekdays/weekends
3. Fall and Spring Unit
- September to December; January to May
- Part-Time Spring: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Thursdays, 20 hours direct patient care per week; overnight on-calls weekdays/weekends
- May to May
- 3 Units of CPE (Tuition waived)
- Full Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily, day time on-call weekdays, daytime and overnight weekend on-call