CPE Frequently Asked Questions
The curriculum for all CPE Interns or Chaplain Residents I or II includes the following components:
- Direct patient care on assigned units in the MedStar Washington Hospital Center (MWHC)
- Hospital-wide On-Call experience (weekday, evenings and weekends)
- Case presentations: each participant presents verbatims for consultation in the assigned supervisory peer group
- Group sessions: students have the opportunity to use the group for personal and professional growth
- Individual supervision with an assigned clinical supervisor
- Didactic presentations
- Inclusiveness seminars focused on issues of diversity (i.e. cultural differences, race, gender, sexual orientation, and faith traditions) and the impact on spiritual care
- Theological reflection seminars
- Worship leadership and seminars
- Mid-unit and Final written evaluations
Application for Spring, Summer, Fall or Extended CPE Units:
Application forms may be downloaded from the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education website (below) or you may call them at 404-320-1472 and request a fax or mail copy.
Applicants may elect to submit applications electronically in a PDF format. Emailed applications must have all required documentation in a single email. A completed summer or extended unit application includes the following:
Signed/dated Application & Instructions (two pages).
Essay responses to items #2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (a maximum of five pages per question/response)
Application fee of $50.00 in the form of a check or money order made payable to “MWHC Dept of Spiritual Care.” Application packets emailed or faxed must include a statement indicating the status of the application fee, such as date mailed or delivery date to the Spiritual Care office (Room 1B-18, located in the main hospital next door to the MWHC Chapel).” Applications are processed upon receipt of a completed packet which includes, essay responses and fee. Please send your completed application to MedStar Washington Hospital Center and not the ACPE office.
If you have had prior unit(s) of CPE, you will need to include Final Self and Supervisor’s Evaluations of all prior unit(s) with your application. Persons applying to our CPE program may be requested to have an interview with our center personnel. You will receive e-mail or written acknowledgement of receipt of your application and fee along with notations concerning any additionally needed information/material. Applicants not accepted to the program are also notified. Tuition for Internships:
- If this is your first unit of CPE at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, tuition for the unit is $1,000. Payment is always by check or money order made out to “MWHC Dept. of Spiritual Care” A $200 non-refundable deposit is due within two weeks after acceptance in the CPE Program. The $800 remainder is due before the end of the CPE Unit.
- Prior to beginning the unit, the faculty is open to discussing financial payment arrangements as needed; these may include working extra on-call shifts after the unit is finished to satisfy any remaining tuition balance. All payment plans will be in writing and approved by the CPE Manager.
All inquiries and correspondence should be directed to:
MedStar Washington Hospital Center
Department of Spiritual Care
Clinical Pastoral Education Center
Attn: Tahara Akmal, CPE Manager
110 Irving St., NW, 1B-18
Washington, D.C. 20010-2975
Email: [email protected]
Applications may be emailed as PDFs to [email protected] with payments mailed to the above address.
MedStar Washington Hospital Center Department of Spiritual Care's Clinical Pastoral Education program is accredited for programs of Level I/Level II and Certified Educator Candidate (CEC) Training by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc., 55 Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard, Suite 835, Atlanta, GA 30308, phone: 404-320-1472. For standard application form, additional information about clinical pastoral education and for international student guidelines, please go to the organization's website: www.ACPE.edu.