At MedStar Washington Hospital, we recognize that a person’s health is strongly linked to the health of the community. Based on our community health needs assessment conducted at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, we have developed programs and services that address these priority areas.
Our community health initiatives include Health and Wellness initiatives, such as Chronic Disease Prevention and Management. Access to Care and services, ensuring access to medical experts in the community and provide linkages to resources. Partnerships with many DC community-based organizations to address lack of access to healthy food and food insecurity and transportation.
MedStar Health strives to connect area residents to local services and resources that will best help them live healthier lives. For more information about additional health and wellness resources and programs click here.
Better Choices, Better Health online program
Living with a long-term health condition? Connect with others to stay healthy and connected while managing chronic conditions. Join a 6-week online Better Choices, Better Health workshop to get support from people just like you. And it's FREE to DC Residents. MedStarHealth.org/LiveWell
Living Well – Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
At MedStar Health, we are dedicated to providing health education programs to improve the health of the communities we serve.
Our seven-week Living Well program can help you take charge of your health and your life. The program is designed for adults living with a chronic condition, such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, depression, chronic pain, arthritis or any chronic health concern.
- Learn how to manage symptoms, organize medications, cope with emotions, eat healthy, manage weight, and communicate with family, friends and healthcare professionals. Receive help problem solving and setting goals to improve the quality of your life.
- Our Living Well program is led by trained facilitators who may also be living with a chronic condition.
Come join us! The cost is free and includes program materials. Registration is required and class size is limited. Find a class near you and make a change today!
MedStar Washington Hospital Center physicians and allied health professionals are committed to sharing their knowledge on various topics with members of the community to improve their health. Community Health works to arrange opportunities for our professionals to speak at community partners in Washington DC Wards 5, 7 and 8. To inquire about a speaker, please email: [email protected].
Living Well Peer Leader Training
Are you interested in becoming a peer leader in partnership with MedStar Health to teach workshops focused on healthier living? If so, outlined below are more details about this opportunity.
A successful leader will:
- Possess good listening skills and is non-judgmental
- Understand the importance and purpose of following the curriculum
- Be enthusiastic, dependable and consistent
- Possess life experience resulting in empathy to the needs and abilities of older adults
Requirements to become a peer leader:
- Attend a free four-day training
- Lead workshops according to the identified model
- Host or travel to workshops across the Greater Washington region twice per year
- Comfortable speaking in front of a small group (approximately fifteen participants)
MedStar partnership includes:
- Four-day Living Well peer leader training and/or cross training certification
- Teaching stipend for each Living Well series for non-MedStar employees
- Partnership agreement to teach two series and promote the Living Well classes
- Program materials
- Collaborative data reporting exchanges
For more information, contact Felicia Hugee at [email protected]