Regional Experts for Complex, Multiple Trauma Care
The internationally renowned MedSTAR Trauma (Medical Shock/Trauma Acute Resuscitation) at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the regional referral center for critical multiple trauma, treating individual victims of traumatic injury and the multiple victims of mass trauma occurrences.
In the heart of the nation’s capital, the center’s well-earned reputation for excellence has been repeatedly tested. It has responded to thousands of medical crises, including treating patients of the September 11th terrorist attack on the Pentagon, and victims of the Navy Yard shootings.
MedSTAR’s impressive list of credentials include:
- Verified by the American College of Surgeons as a Level I facility, providing the top level of trauma care
- Evaluates 2,200 to 3,000 patients with severe and multiple system injuries each year
- An internationally respected multidisciplinary team of trauma experts, including a trauma surgeon, emergency physician and many others
- 24/7 access to a the hospital’s diverse team medical and surgical specialists
- Serves as a referral center for a 150 mile radius of the hospital, receiving crucial trauma patients from D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Delaware and Pennsylvania
- Air and ground transportation via MedSTAR Transport bringing patients from referring hospitals and from the site of the injury
- More than 50,000 patients airlifted by MedSTAR helicopter transport service, staffed round-the-clock with surgeons and medical flight staff specially trained in the complexities of trauma care
- Boasts six resuscitation areas, an operating room and high tech equipment to assess, diagnose and treat life-threatening illnesses or injuries