The Burn Center Treatments
The Burn Center: Decades of Distinguished Care, from Injury through Rehabilitation
The Burn Center at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the only adult burn treatment center in the Washington metropolitan area, serving the District, southern Maryland, northern Virginia and eastern West Virginia.
The Center meets stringent criteria for qualification by the American Burn Association. It features a multidisciplinary team approach to burn care that provides comprehensive services for patients from injury through initial rehabilitation.
What sets our Burn Center apart?
- 35 years of experience in the specialty treatment of burns
- A comprehensive care approach for patients with burn injury including outpatient care for minor burns, surgical burn treatment, reconstructive surgery and burn rehabilitation
- A multidisciplinary team of experts among the most experienced in the nation
- Implementation of best practices in burn treatment and use of aggressive treatment techniques that promote healing
- A successful outreach and education program to educate high-risk groups about burn prevention and fire safety
- Committed to research and the development of new techniques and technologies for burns and other traumatic injuries through the Firefighters' Burn and Surgical Research Laboratory
- More than 800 acute burn-injured patients admitted for treatment each year, with another 500 treated as outpatients
- Advanced protocols for the triage, treatment, and transfer of burned patients from other facilities
Multidisciplinary Team of Burn Experts
The center’s multidisciplinary team is among the nation’s most experienced burn experts:
- Burn surgeons, trained in general surgery with additional fellowship training in burn, trauma or critical care
- Nurses with special training caring for burn patients
- Advanced practice clinicians
- Burn rehabilitation specialists—occupational and physical therapists
- Social workers
- Mental health providers
Patients with minor burns, not requiring hospitalization, are provided outpatient wound care and rehabilitation through the Burn Center clinic.
Intermediate Care Unit
A Burn Rehabilitation/Intermediate Care Unit provides nursing care and rehabilitation therapy for noncritical, burn-injured patients and critically injured patients who have progressed to the post-acute phase of care.
Surgical Burn Treatment
When surgery is required, surgical burn treatment is performed in a special area within the Burn Center. Reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation are available for patients in the post-acute and convalescent phases of their care, regardless of where they received treatment for their acute burns.
A team of specially trained occupational and physical therapists work with burn victims to help them regain physical function and relearn the skills of daily living.
Outreach and Educational Programming
The Burn Center manages one of the largest outreach and educational programs in the country on burn prevention, burn treatment and burn care.
Our burn prevention programs reach out to high-risk groups, such as firefighters and Boy Scouts. We also provide programming for Parent Teacher Associations providing parents of young children with critical information on burn prevention and treatment of minor burns.
Professional Education and Research
The Center’s multidisciplinary team provides education and clinical training to students in many health care specialties including physicians-in-training, surgeons and critical care specialists.
The Burn Center’s active basic science and clinical research programs are centered on burn injury repair. In addition, the medical team is widely published in peer-reviewed journals and frequently participates in presentations at national and international conferences.