The Burn Center: Decades of Distinguished Care, from Injury through Rehabilitation
The Burn Center at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the only adult burn treatment center in the Washington Metropolitan area, serving the District, Southern Maryland, Northern Virginia and Eastern West Virginia.
The Burn Center meets stringent criteria for verification by the American Burn Association for providing excellence in burn care. We feature a multidisciplinary team approach to burn care that provides comprehensive services for patients from injury through rehabilitation. We also offer scar revision surgery for all patients, regardless of where their care originated.
What sets our Burn Center apart?
- Almost 50 years of experience in the specialty treatment of burns
- Patient-specific, comprehensive care approach for patients with burn injury including outpatient care for minor burns, surgical burn treatment, reconstructive surgery and burn rehabilitation
- A multidisciplinary team of experts among the most experienced in the nation
- We are a national leader in laser scar revision, with a practice dedicated to patients with burn and traumatic injuries
- We have dedicated psychosocial support services including a full time Psychologist who specializes in diagnosis and treatment of acute stress and post-traumatic stress disorders.
- Implementation of best practices in burn treatment and use of the most cutting-edge technologies and innovative therapies to promote healing
- A successful outreach and education program to educate high-risk groups about burn prevention and fire safety
- Committed to research and the development of new techniques and technologies for burns and other traumatic injuries through the Firefighters' Burn and Surgical Research Laboratory
- More than 500 acute burn-injured patients admitted for treatment each year, with another 700 treated as outpatients
- Advanced protocols for the triage, treatment, and transfer of burned patients from other acute care facilities. Our surgeons are available 24/7 to advise on initial management of burns large and small.
Multidisciplinary Team of Burn Experts
The Burn Center’s multidisciplinary team is among the nation’s most experienced burn experts:
- Burn surgeons, trained in general surgery with additional fellowship training in burn, trauma and/or critical care
- Advanced Practice Providers
- Nurses with special training in the care of burn patients
- Occupation and Physical Therapists with specialty training in burn rehabilitation and scar prevention
- Social workers
- Mental health providers
Minor Burns and Outpatient Care
Patients with minor burns, not requiring hospitalization, are provided outpatient wound care and rehabilitation through the Burn Center clinic. Please call 202-877-7347 to schedule an appointment.
The Burn Center provides a multidisciplinary approach to the care of critically injured burn patients in the Burn Intensive Care Unit and Burn Stepdown Unit. We implement best practice in burn treatment and use of the most cutting-edge technologies and innovative therapies to promote healing.
Surgical Burn Treatment
When surgery is required, surgical burn treatment is performed in a special area within the Burn Center. Reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation are available for patients in the post-acute and convalescent phases of their care, regardless of where they received treatment for their acute burns.
For patients suffering from pain, itching, tightness and discoloration associated with burn or traumatic scars, the Burn Center can offer multiple interventions, including compression and massage, laser scar revision, and surgical excision of scars. If you are interested in scar revision, please contact the Burn Clinic (202) 877-7347 to schedule an appointment with one of our Burn Surgeons.
Aftercare and Rehabilitation
We offer aftercare and reintegration assistance for life for our patients. A team of specially trained occupational and physical therapists work with burn survivors to help them regain physical function and relearn the skills needed for daily living.
We have dedicated psychosocial support services including a full time Psychologist who specializes in diagnosis and treatment of acute stress and post-traumatic stress disorders as well as non-pharmacologic strategies for pain management. Our Psychologist is available for consult and support for patients in the hospital and for outpatients.
Outreach and Educational Programming
As leaders in education and prevention in the community, The Burn Center manages one of the largest outreach and educational programs in the country.
Our burn prevention programs reach out to high-risk groups, such as firefighters and Boy Scouts. We also provide programming for Parent Teacher Associations providing parents of young children with critical information on burn prevention and treatment of minor burns. If you are interested in burn prevention programming, please contact our Outreach Coordinator, Angela White 202-877-3011.
Professional Education and Research
The Center’s multidisciplinary team provides education and clinical training to students in many health care specialties including physicians-in-training, surgeons and critical care specialists. We also participate in training and educating first responders, emergency departments, urgent care centers and primary care providers.
The Burn Center’s active basic science and clinical research programs are on the forefront of development of novel solutions to understanding burn injury and tissue regeneration. In addition, the medical team is widely published in peer-reviewed journals and frequently participates in presentations at national and international conferences. Our clinical research program offers a wide array of clinical trials and most patients qualify for at least one study, if they wish.