Geriatric Care at Washington Hospital Center
Compassionate Care for Older Adults
The Section of Geriatrics at MedStar Washington Hospital Center offers seniors aged 65 years and older the special expertise of a team of fellowship-trained geriatric physicians. We care for their everyday health needs through our primary care office practice—and lead a regional program called MedStar House Call Program, designed to care for frail elderly in the Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD, communities.
MedStar House Call Program
Office-Based Geriatrics Primary Care
Our team of geriatric specialists also provides primary care services for older adults at the Ambulatory Care Center at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. The practice is staffed by our Geriatrics fellows, and supervising attending geriatricians. The team of specialists is focused on providing comprehensive primary care to their patients over the course of their lives—helping patients manage acute and chronic illness—everything from dementia, stroke, heart disease, diabetes, cancer, COPD, functional disability to end-of-life care.
We also operate a Hospital Geriatrics Service for frail elders who are part of the House Call Program. When these patients are hospitalized through the emergency department or by a scheduled admission, our House Call nurse practitioners and doctors arrange the admission, and care for patients while they are in the hospital. In addition, our Ortho-Geriatrics team of specialists, who are experts in geriatrics, orthopaedics, rehabilitation and nursing, care for seniors who are hospitalized as a result of falls and fractures.
Make an Appointment
MedStar Washington Hospital Center
Department of Geriatrics and Long-Term Care
110 Irving Street, NW
East Building, Room 3114
Washington, D.C. 20010
Our Team of Geriatric Specialists
- Eric De Jonge, MD, Section Director Geriatrics and Executive Director, MedStar House Call Program
- Stephanie Bruce, MD, Faculty geriatrician and Medical Director, MedStar House Call Program
- George Taler, MD, Faculty geriatrician and physician, MedStar House Call Program
- Cesar Torres, MD, Faculty geriatrician and physician, MedStar House Call Program
In the News
- House Calls Are Coming Back; The Washington Post 6. 2016: Looking for ways to save money and improve care, Medicare officials are returning to an old-fashioned idea: house calls. The house-calls practice at MedStar Washington Hospital Center cut the cost of care an average of $12,000 per patient.