Why Choose the MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute
MedStar Washington Hospital Center is part of MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute, a national leader in research, diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease. With more than 140 physician specialists across nine MedStar acute-care hospitals, we are consistently ranked as one of the nation’s top cardiac programs by U.S.News & World Report and The Society of Thoracic Surgeons, and have been the premier destination for cardiac care in the region for more than 55 years.
MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute and Cleveland Clinic
In January, 2013, MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute entered into a unique, first-of-its-kind alliance with Cleveland Clinic, the #1 heart program in the nation, resulting in enhanced access to advanced, innovative cardiovascular care and research throughout the mid-Atlantic.
MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute Accreditations and Awards
We are proud of the consistent and outstanding rankings and awards we receive, including:
- Our heart program is the only one in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area to be ranked nationally (top 50) by the prestigious U.S. News & World Report. There were no other D.C. area hospitals ranked.
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons has recognized our cardiac surgery program with its highest quality rating of three-stars for the seventh year in a row.
- The Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) program at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the only Joint Commission-accredited VAD program in Washington, D.C.
What Makes Us Different?
- Highest Volumes: We’re one of the busiest Heart programs in the nation with more than 1,400 open heart surgeries each year - and more cardiac catheterizations than any other heart center in the area.
- Vast Experience: Our heart and vascular specialists take better care of routine heart cases, because of our leadership and vast experience with the most challenging cases.
- 24/7 Emergency Transport: We have the only 24/7 emergency transport team with five helicopters backed by an onsite cardiac treatment team. When minutes count- we are there.
- Elite Collaborations: MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute has forged a unique alliance with the nation's #1 heart program, the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic Sydell and Arnold Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute—joining forces to further strengthen the central Maryland and Washington region's premier destination for heart care. Read more about this alliance here.
- Teaching Institutions: As an academic medical center, our doctors are also professors, teaching newer physicians how to care for patients in the most effective manner. Our residents and fellows are among the best and brightest in the country, and are committed to cardiac careers that will someday solve more of today’s major health care issues.
Cardiac Care Specialists
Our heart physicians specialize in treating all types of heart conditions with a special emphasis on diagnosis and treatment of even the most advanced and complex heart conditions. Uniquely qualified to diagnose and treat heart disease, the physicians of MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute have a record of nationally ranked excellence, a tradition of innovation and research that advances heart care, and solid experience taking care of both routine and complex cases.
Our cardiologists are also sub-specialists, with expertise in specific areas of cardiology. Together, they provide the best care for any heart condition.
- ECG and Outpatient Cardiology Physicians
- Advanced Heart Imaging Cardiologists
- Cardiac Consultative Section
- Cardiac Ward Service Section Physicians
- Cardiac Surgeons
- Coronary Care Unit Physicians
- Interventional Cardiologists
- Non-Invasive Cardiac Laboratory Physicians
- Advanced Heart Failure Physicians
- Vascular Surgeons
- Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Programs Staff
Dedicated to Innovation
The doctors at MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute are drivers of innovation in heart care. Read more about our innovations here.
Learn more about the work our doctors are doing at the MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute.
Service to Our Communities
Our patients regard us as active participants in our community. We take heart health education and heart disease prevention seriously by providing educational programs to raise awareness. And, as our neighbors, they can count on rapid communication and seamless interaction among caregivers, from MedSTAR ambulance and helicopter services to the Emergency Department, Critical Care Units and into the operating room.
We continue to be the best at what we do because we are motivated to establish a future where surgery is less invasive, medical technology provides more effective solutions, and our patients live longer and fuller lives.