Once we have confirmed a diagnosis, including the size and location of the tumor, your team will create a personalized treatment plan. Our neurosurgeons, endocrinologists and neuro- ophthalmologists, collaborate to ensure you receive the most effective care. The high volume of pituitary surgeries we perform has led to excellent outcomes for our patients.
Pituitary Tumors: Our Approach to Treatment
Your treatment plan will depend on your specific condition, the location of the tumor, the types of symptoms you have and your overall health. We tailor your treatment plan to offer you the best outcome.
At our center, you will find:
- High level of expertise: Our team has performed more than 1,000 pituitary tumor surgeries, a higher volume than any other facility in the region. We focus exclusively on pituitary tumors and disorders, giving us the type of intensive expertise that leads to better results for you. Our patients are able to life healthy lives post-treatment, without sign of pituitary disease.
- Centralized care: From your diagnosis to treatment to follow-up, we provide every aspect of your care right here at our center. Meet our team.
- Authentic collaboration: Together, our experts manage your care, ensuring an accurate diagnosis and creating an individualized treatment plan. We meet weekly to collaborate on complex cases.
- Advanced treatment: Our team conducts much of the latest pituitary tumor research right here at our center. This means you have access to the latest medications, techniques and clinical trials available.
Lifelong care: After your surgery, our team, including your endocrinologist, neurologist and neuro-ophthalmologist, provides careful follow-up care. We are often with you for life, performing regular monitoring and scans to manage and prevent any complications
Pituitary Tumor Treatments
We provide the full spectrum of services for pituitary tumors. Treatments we provide include:
- Watchful waiting: If the tumor is not causing any problems, we may choose not to treat it. You will return for regular monitoring, including imaging scans, to track the tumor’s progress. Regular, careful monitoring allows us to detect if there is any change in the tumor that may require more active treatment. Our clinic coordinator will assist you in scheduling your follow-up appointments.
- Medical management: We are able to treat many tumors with medication, which can help stop the excess hormone production. Some medications can even shrink the tumors. In addition, after surgery, you may need medication to manage certain endocrine conditions. We work with your local endocrinologist and referring physician to manage your ongoing care.
- Surgery: Our neurosurgeons perform more pituitary tumor surgeries than any other surgeons in the region. We have extensive experience with this surgery, leaving no visible scar after the surgery. Learn more about pituitary surgery at MedStar Pituitary Center.
- Radiation therapy: This uses high-energy X-ray beams that destroy the tumor. We use the Gamma Knife stereotactic radiosurgery technique, which targets the tumor precisely with minimal damage to the surrounding structures. Learn more about radiosurgery for pituitary tumors.
Contact Us Today
To make an appointment, or for more information, contact us at 844-PITUITARY (748-8482).