MedStar Pituitary Center: Why Choose Us?
From the moment you enter our facility, you are in the hands of the nation’s top pituitary experts. Our highly regarded team includes leaders in the fields of neurosurgery, otolaryngology, endocrinology and neuro-ophthalmology.
We provide everything you need, from diagnostic imaging to treatment to follow-up care. At our center, you will find:
- Excellent outcomes: The high volume of patients we treat has led to outstanding outcomes with low rates of complications. Most of our patients experience remission of symptoms, able to live healthy lives without signs of pituitary disease.
- Centralized care: We are a center of excellence for comprehensive evaluation and treatment of pituitary disorders. Our specialists work together to provide in-depth evaluation, a comprehensive treatment plan and meticulous follow-up tailored to each patient. Our clinic coordinator helps you navigate the treatment process and understand what to expect at every step.
- Expertise: Our physicians have dedicated their careers to pituitary disorders. Research has shown that this type of focused expertise leads to better outcomes for patients. Our team includes:
- Edward Aulisi, MD, one of the leading neurosurgeons in the country, with decades of experience in pituitary surgery.
- Stanley Chia, MD, an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist along with neurosurgery treat patients with pituitary disorders. Selected pituitary tumors can be removed via transnasal endoscopic approaches.
- Martin Kolsky, MD, a neuro-ophthalmologist who specializes in the care for patients who have neurological-related vision problems, helping patients avoid losing their vision or restoring normal vision.
- Susmeeta Sharma, MD, a neuro-endocrinologist who is an NIH-trained expert in evaluation and medical management for pituitary tumors and disorders.
- Kenneth Burman, MD, an endocrinologist who diagnoses and treats hormone imbalances.
- Joseph Verbalis, MD, an internationally renowned researcher, focusing on complex posterior pituitary tumors. At the MedStar Pituitary Center, we not only use the most innovative technology available today, but we are also actively involved in researching better treatment options for the future.
- Leading treatments: We have the top pituitary surgery team in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. But not everyone will need surgery. Our team develops a treatment plan that offers you the best long-term outcome. Treatment options can include medication, surgery, radiation therapy or watchful waiting. Learn more about pituitary tumor treatments.
- Research: Our team has an unparalleled depth of expertise in treating pituitary tumors. We combine our years of experience with the latest research in pituitary care—much of it conducted right here at our center. Read more about our research.
Your Pituitary Gland: The Master Gland
The pituitary gland is small—about the size of a pea—but it is the body’s “master gland” due to its important role in regulating many of the body’s functions, including metabolism, growth, sexual maturation, reproduction and blood pressure. Because the pituitary gland is responsible for so much of your body’s activity, a pituitary tumor can cause many different and complex conditions. Learn more about understanding pituitary tumors.