We believe in a multifaceted approach to patient care in order to fully treat the problems associated with musculoskeletal injury. We employ this strategy at MedStar Orthopaedics Institute, MedStar Washington Hospital Center, Division of Trauma.
Musculoskeletal injury can have long-lasting effects. For those afflicted with chronic problems from fracture or injury such as limb-length problems, deformity or the non-healing of bones, we employ the most up to date non-operative and operative techniques for treatment in order to maximize function. MedStar Washington Hospital Center also serves as a referral center for patients with chronic infection of bone, or osteomyelitis, where we work closely with our integrated team of infectious diseases specialists and plastic surgeons.
For our injured elderly patients, we have instituted the region’s only orthopaedic-geriatric trauma service, with 5 full-time geriatricians, dedicated to the total health of the acutely injured elderly patient.
Orthopaedic Conditions Treated
We diagnose and treat the following trauma related conditions:
- Acute injuries
- Injured elderly patients
- Chronic problems from fracture or injury
- Bone infections
- Geriatric fracture center that provides integrated care by our orthopaedic surgeons, geriatricians and physical and occupational therapists
- Malunions and nonunions
- Pelvis and acetabulum fracture management
- Upper and lower extremity fracture management
Awards and Recognitions
- Recognized among the Best Hospitals by U.S.News & World Report in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area for nine specialties, including orthopaedics.
- Regions only orthopaedic-geriatric trauma service dedicated to the wellbeing of the acutely injured elderly patient.