Thyroid nodules are growths, or collections of cells, that form on the thyroid. In most cases, thyroid nodules are benign, meaning they are not cancerous. They usually do not grow or spread and do not cause pain or other symptoms.
In some cases, though, thyroid nodules are malignant, or cancerous. Cancerous thyroid growths can affect the functioning of the thyroid and cause other symptoms, including difficulty swallowing and swelling in the neck.
Are You at Risk for Thyroid Disease?
Approximately 12 million Americans are affected by thyroid disease. Thyroid diseases occur at least five times more frequently in women than in men.
- As many as ten percent of women over age 65 have an underactive thyroid.
- Thyroid dysfunction complicates between 5 percent and 9 percent of all pregnancies.
- Thyroid nodules are common, but only between 5 and 10 percent of these are cancerous.
Thyroid cancer treatment: Our approach
The experienced, highly trained endocrinology doctors at MedStar Washington Hospital Center offer patients the most advanced care and treatment options. Our team is dedicated to answering your questions and to working together with you and your family to develop the best treatment plan for you.
We take a multidisciplinary approach to your care by collaborating with other doctors you may see, including a thyroid oncologist when appropriate or any other specialist.
Metastatic thyroid cancer to the bone: Our approach
Our endocrinologists are specially trained in treating thyroid cancer that has spread to the bone, called metastatic thyroid cancer to the bone. In collaboration with your other specialists, we generally recommend the following therapies:
- Medication, including thyroid hormone suppression
- External radiation therapy
- Radioactive iodine
- Use of dosimetry, an individualized approach to therapy
- Targeted agents, which are specially developed drugs to treat tumor growth
- Medications that help decrease the progression of bone metastases
Make an Appointment
For an appointment with a specialist, call
Find a Doctor
Our providers can find the best solution just for you.