The Orthopaedic Oncology Center at Washington Cancer Institute at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is a multidisciplinary treatment center for sarcomas, bone cancers, and any cancer or benign tumor of the musculoskeletal system.
Our team of specialists treats cancers that start in the bone, muscle or soft tissue. They also treat cancers that may have started elsewhere in the body, but have spread to bone or soft tissues.
At Washington Cancer Institute at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, we use cutting-edge medical technologies and the latest advances in cancer treatment to evaluate and treat our patients. We treat many orthopaedic cancers with a combination of medical, surgical and radiation therapies.
Our team of physicians in the Orthopaedic Oncology Center use advanced diagnostic services to evaluate your tumor. If you need surgery, one of our expert orthopaedic oncologists will perform your procedure. If surgery is not necessary, but further treatment for the cancer is, your orthopaedic oncologist may suggest the following treatments:
- Advanced diagnostic services
- Advanced musculoskeletal imaging
- Arterial embolization
- Cancer support services
- Clinical trials
- Complex revision surgeries
- Consultations and second opinions
- Endoprosthetic reconstruction
- Limb sparing surgery
- Minimally invasive biopsies
- Minimally invasive percutaneous tumor ablation
- Musculoskeletal pathology reviews
- Orthopaedic radiology reviews
- Radiation therapy
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Shoulder and pelvic girdle surgery
Our Orthopaedic Oncologists
Our physicians include leaders in innovative treatment and surgical advances, including limb-sparing surgery, procedures which can save the affected arm or leg and avoid amputation. With these modern techniques, amputation is now rare, and our limb sparing rate is 98 percent. Because of our experience, we frequently perform complex and revision surgeries referred from other medical centers in the country.
Meet our specialists:
- Brock Adams, MD - Orthopaedic Oncology and Orthopaedic Surgery
- Robert Henshaw, MD - Director, Orthopaedic Oncology and Vice-Chair, Orthopaedic Surgery
Our Patients Come to Us from Around the World
Our patients come to us from around the world. Many are from the greater Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, the surrounding states of the mid-Atlantic region, and from the east coast. These patients look to us to reduce the risk of their cancer returning as well as maximize limb function (treating the cancer but keeping the arm or leg moving as well as possible).
Focus on Education
In addition to our clinical care, we run a highly successful, accredited fellowship training program and educate students and residents with an emphasis on our surgical services and research.
Awards and Recognitions
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar Washington Hospital Center are both recognized among the Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area for nine specialties, including orthopaedics.