The Fibroid Center at MedStar Washington Hospital Center specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of uterine fibroids. Fibroids, which are growths in the uterus, are very common in women of childbearing age, especially in women in their 30s and 40s. Although fibroids rarely progress to cancer, they can cause a variety of troublesome symptoms, including heavy or painful menstrual periods, anemia, pelvic pain and pressure, constipation, frequent urination, pain during intercourse, infertility and miscarriage.
For many years, the most common form of treatment for fibroids was a hysterectomy (surgical removal of the uterus); however, recent advances in medical technology and surgical techniques have led to the development of less invasive treatments that allow a woman to keep her uterus.
The Fibroid Center offers these newer treatment options. Our multidisciplinary team of specialists, which includes gynecologists, gynecologic surgeons and interventional radiologists, are experts in the evaluation and treatment of fibroids. They work together to develop an appropriate treatment plan for each woman, taking into account the size and location of her fibroids, her age, overall health and future reproductive plans.
- Myomectomy (surgical removal of fibroids from uterus), options include abdominal, laparoscopic and hysteroscopic procedures
- Endometrial ablation (treating the uterine lining to reduce menstrual bleeding)
- Hysterectomy (removal of uterus), options include abdominal, laparoscopic and vaginal
- Acessa (new minimally invasive procedure for fibroids which allows rapid recovery and can eliminate the need for a hysterectomy)
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) - injecting microscopic particles into particular targeted arteries to selectively block blood flow to the fibroids, causing the fibroids themselves to shrink and cause less symptoms over time.
- Pain Relievers
- Change in diet and exercise
- Complementary and alternative medicine
Awards and Recognitions
The Washington Women's Wellness Center, the National Center for Advanced Pelvic Surgery, the Fibroid Center and the Perinatal Center are the first SCOPE Certified Offices in the District.
To find a fibroid specialist at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, please call 202-877-6898.
Our staff is available to answer your calls, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
106 Irving Street, NW
POB 405 South
Washington, DC 20010