The Radiation Oncology Department at MedStar Washington Hospital Center’s Washington Cancer Institute combines the most experienced radiation oncology team in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, and the most advanced technology, providing the best chance for healing and recovery.
Radiation Oncology TreatmentsThe Washington Cancer Institute is a leader in radiation therapy. We were the first hospital in Washington, D.C., to house the new Varian Trilogy Stereotactic System, which offers the latest and most effective technological advances to treat cancer. We also offer other state-of-the-art radiation technologies including:
- Advanced computerized treatment planning, fusion and verification systems
- Brachytherapy, including high-dose rates (HDR) and low-dose rates (LDR)
- Gamma Knife, for treatment of certain brain lesions
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) with cone beam CT and kilovoltage imaging (KV) for improved target localization
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Partial breast irradiation with both external beam therapy and brachytherapy
- Positron emission tomography and computed tomography (PET/CT) simulation
- Respiratory gating
- Sophisticated 4-D large bore computerized tomography (CT) simulator (GE Discovery)
- Three state-of-the-art linear accelerators
- Total skin electron irradiation (TSEI), the region's only location for this type of treatment
Radiation Oncology Services
- A radiation oncology suite on the ground floor of the Cancer Institute, which offers a convenient, comfortable and healing environment.
- Quick patient evaluations and consultations with our physicians who keep your referring physician up-to-date as we develop and begin treatment.
- Compassionate support services to help overcome the challenges of treatment and recovery. We offer patient education and support programs and assistance from nutritionists, social workers and pastoral counselors.
Radiation Oncology SpecialistsRadiation Oncologists
- Radiation Therapists
- Radiation Oncology Nurses
- Administrative Staff
Awards and Recognitions
- Accredited by the American College of Radiology
- Accredited by the American Society of Radiation Oncology
MedStar Washington Hospital Center
110 Irving Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20010