Thinking about weight loss surgery? At the top of your “to do” list is choosing the very best hospital—and an experienced medical team. At MedStar Washington Hospital Center we’ve been successfully performing weight loss surgery—also called bariatric surgery—for decades. Our team’s experience and expertise translates into your positive outcome—and improved quality of life.
We put you at the center of our care and provide all the information you need to better understand your treatment options and make a full recovery.
Washington Hospital Center - The Best Choice for Bariatric Surgery:
- Our program is an American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) Center of Excellence and is fully accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP).
- Our board-certified surgeons have extensive experience in minimally invasive and robotic bariatric surgical procedures, which translate into shorter hospital stays, less pain and a faster recovery.
- You will be cared for by a multi-disciplinary bariatric team that includes a bariatric surgeon, gastroenterologist, nurse program coordinator, dietician and exercise physiologist.
- All of the comprehensive resources of the MedStar Washington Hospital Center are available if you need them.
- A free educational program before surgery helps prepare you for the procedure and your recovery.
- Extensive follow-up care, including a support group of your peers, provides all you need to stay healthy long after your procedure.
Patient Success Stories
As Tyrone Harrison gained weight, his diabetes spiraled out of control. He was afraid he would lose a leg or go blind. Bariatric Surgery saved Tyrone's life. View his story below.
See other MedStar Washington Hospital Center Bariatric Surgery patient success stories.
Information Sessions and Support Groups
This is your first step in the bariatric surgical process. Come join us and you will:
- Meet the bariatric surgeons and patient care team
- Learn about surgical options
- Learn about the process
- Learn about insurance requirements and the authorization process
Alternative Online Seminar: Click here to learn more about the Bariatric Information Session offered online.
Supporting Documentation: If you choose to register for our online session, please download the following information:
Read More in Our Blog
3 precautions for weight loss surgery travel
6 frequently asked questions about bariatric surgery
How to reduce risk of kidney stones after bariatric surgery
Bariatric surgery at 18: Jewel’s story
Evaluating young adults considering bariatric surgery
Bariatric surgery and excess skin removal
... and MORE!
Meet Our Team
- Dr. Timothy Shope: Bariatric and General surgeon
- Dr. John Brebbia: Bariatric and General surgeon
- Dr. Timothy Koch: Gastroenterologist
- Dr. Ivanesa Pardo: Bariatric and General surgeon
- Marsha Brown, RN: Clinical Nurse
- Catherine Hite, CRNP: Nurse Practitioner
- Anyea Lovette MS, RD, LD: Bariatric Program Coordinator
- Andrea Goergen, MHS, RD, LD, Clinical Dietitian
- Kristen McGill RD, LD, Clinical Dietitian
- Administrative team:
- Lenique Hammond, MA
- Natalie Bryant, MA
- Catina Wood, MOA
- Janice Abrahams, MOA