The dedication of the Nancy and Harold Zirkin Heart & Vascular Hospital at MedStar Washington Hospital Center will be held Thursday, June 16. To accommodate donor event celebrating the occasion, the Main Entrance, traffic flow, and shuttle service will be affected.
Because we appreciate that special events can be inconvenient for associates, patients and visitors, every effort has been made to ensure that changes cause the least possible disruption and for the shortest amount of time.
Here is what you need to know:
Changes to hospital access begin at 3 p.m. Thursday, June 16. Normal operations should resume by 10 p.m.
- Main Entrance: The Main Entrance will be modified into a split entrance, with a temporary wall to allow associates, patients and visitors to enter and exit outside of the event area.
- Front driveway: The front driveway in front of the main entrance will be open to vehicles until 3 p.m. It then will close to traffic and pedestrians. After that time, signage will indicate that the Main Entrance is closed for the remainder of the day.
- North (“N”) elevators: Two of the three “N” elevators will be allocated to the event from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. The elevators are important to keeping a smooth flow of guests touring the new heart and vascular hospital. Staff elevators will remain open.
- Patient drop off and pickup: The driveway in front of Washington Cancer Institute (WCI) will be used while the main driveway is closed. Patient drop off and pickup areas will be located at WCI. Staff will direct visitors from the street to this alternate area. Patients leaving the building will be guided to the sidewalk at WCI.
- Metro Access: Metro Access will drop off and pick up patients at the Bus Circle. Central Patient Transport, Nursing and others involved in patient discharge procedures should direct or deliver patients to the Bus Circle starting at 3 p.m.
- Hospital Garage Elevator: Use of the west elevator in the Hospital Garage will be restricted. Associates should use the Third Floor Bridge and the garage East elevator. The Weststairs, as well as the sidewalk in front of National Rehabilitation Hospital, will be open.
- Shuttle Bus service (5:30 p.m. - 9 p.m. only): Shuttle service will be temporarily suspended at the regular stops on Thursday, June 16 between 5:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. The shuttles will pick up and drop off riders at the following two locations during those hours:
- Hospital Drive and 1st Street (at an existing Metrobus stop)
- East Building